Why another kid’s CD? A few reasons.
- We think there’s a need for more children’s songs that aren’t simply adult songs with kid’s voices.
- We’d like to see more kid’s songs that proclaim truth rather than express love for God, which many children don’t have yet.
- We wanted kids to see that God wants us to be joyful, loving, faithful, gentle, etc., because that’s the way he is.
- We also wanted kids to see that it’s impossible to be joyful, loving, faithful, gentle, etc. apart from believing the gospel and being empowered by God’s Spirit.
- We wanted to serve children’s ministries and families who are looking for contemporary worship songs with substance for kids.
While the target age is 6-10, we think older children, and even adults will enjoy the project. Here’s a list of the songs, and the corresponding fruit of the Spirit (some are fairly obvious):
To Be Like Jesus
Because You First Loved Me (Love)
Gotta Wait (Patience)
You Show Me Kindness (Kindness)
Nothing Better Than Jesus
Jesus, You’re My Hope (Self-Control)
Good and Gracious (Goodness)
Make me Faithful (Faithfulness)
Give me Self-Control
Gentle Like Jesus (Gentleness)
Putting the album together was a joy. Steve Cook produced it, using Sara Groves’ rhythm section. We utilized 13 Sovereign Grace songwriters and 8 vocalists. All but 4 of the songs were co-writes. I loved the fact that so many folks were able to contribute.
We included two general songs as well as two songs on self-control because we couldn’t decide which one to include…and we figured no parent would mind their child hearing more about self-control.
The To Be Like Jesus CD contains guitar charts for all the songs as well as MP3s of the accompaniment tracks. We hope that will make it easier to use these songs both in churches and families.
I couldn’t be more excited about the project. If you have any ideas for helping us to get the word out, let me know.